McGregor, Iowa - Great River Road
The Masonic Block in historic downtown McGregor, Iowa
The McGregor and Marquette communities began as a ferry boat landing across the river from Prairie Du Chien. The landing, established by Alexander MacGregor in 1837, later grew into a village when he plotted out 6 block area in the current downtown McGregor. Officially incorporated in 1857, the town has retained a number of historic structures.
Visitors will find a number of antique stores, artisan shops, quaint restaurants and inns, and architecture from the 19th century. Nearby attractions include Pikes Peak State Park camping and hiking, a riverboat casino, Effigy Mounds National Monument and Prairie Du Chien, WI just across the bridge on the other side of the river.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
< < < Much of McGregor is tucked beneath a bluff adjacent to the Mississippi River.
< < <
The McGregor Mall, located in the 1884 E.R. Barron building, is an eclectic combination of antiques, flea market stuff, diner, and pool and games hall.
One of the neat pubs in town.> > >