Wabasha, Minnesota - Great River Road
Along Lawrence Blvd river front drive, Wabasha, Minnesota
Originally a fur post, Wabasha grew into a settlement and was incorporated as a city in 1858. Since it was continually occupied since 1830, Wabasha lays claim to being Minnesota's oldest city. In 1843 the community was named "Wabashaw" (a clue to its correct pronunciation) but the last W was accidentally dropped in the official published state maps and subsequently became "Wabasha" in the state statues.
It's early economy was centered around retail trade, logging, milling, and boat building. A number of the downtown structures from the late 1800s have been preserved and are featured in a Historical Walking Tour brochure available from the chamber of commerce.
Among the newest buildings in town is the new home of the National Eagle Center, an educational and exhibit center fostering environmental stewardship and protection of the bald eagle. In addition to its inside exhibits, it also offers eagle viewing platforms overlooking the river.
Other Wabasha attractions include its parks, one with a 48 unit campground, and the lore associated with it's association with the "Grumpy Old Men" movie and sequel.